ZCV leads condemnation of BDS
4 June 2013
At the 3 June 2013 plenum for the Jewish Community Council of Victoria, the Zionist Council of Victoria made a motion condemning the boycott campaign of the Australian Jewish Democratic Society.
ZCV President Sam Tatarka said:
“The Zionist Council of Victoria is pleased to note the outcome of last night’s meeting of the JCCV plenum. The overwhelming majority of delegates voted to affirm this community’s firm opposition to boycotts of any type against Israel or its citizens, no matter where they live.
“The AJDS represents a view that is very much in the minority, and, although it is entitled to its views and the expression of them, it is not entitled to represent those views as being those of the majority of the Jewish community of Victoria.
“The outcome of last night’s meeting of the JCCV plenum, in which the community voted overwhelmingly to reject the AJDS’s support of a ‘limited’ boycott of Israeli goods, is a clear indication of this community’s support of Israel and its citizens no matter where they live.
“The vote of the plenum indicates that the boycott policy of the AJDS does not come with the imprimatur of the Jewish community at large.”
Text of the motion that the ZCV made and was passed at the JCCV plenum:
The Jewish Community Council of Victoria:
1. Notes the resolution passed by the Plenum on 4 October 2010 (copy below);
2. Notes the undertaking sought by the JCCV Executive and tendered by the Australian Jewish Democratic Society (AJDS) regarding the manner in which the fact of AJDS’s affiliation with the JCCV will be used in all future pronouncements by the AJDS;
3. Completely dissociates itself from the policy recently announced by the Australian Jewish Democratic Society calling for a boycott of goods produced by Israeli companies in the West Bank;
4. Deplores and condemns that policy on the basis that it is repugnant to the basic policies and principles of the Jewish Community Council of Victoria and the Executive Council of Australian Jewry;
October 2010 Motion on AJDS
Whereas the BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) Movement attempts to delegitimise and isolate Israel, falsely accusing Israel of apartheid and advocating a one state solution. The BDS agenda is entirely inimical to the values of the JCCV; and
AJDS RESOLUTION TO THE JCCV PLENUM MEETING, 4 OCTOBER, 2010
Whereas the JCCV is the roof body of the Victorian Jewish community, a community which is renowned for its strong and unwavering commitment to the State of Israel, the home of the Jewish people, and it’s security within safe and secure borders. As such the JCCV which has embodied these principles within its constitution is an organisation that believes in the well being of Israel and its citizens;
Whereas the BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) Movement attempts to delegitimise and isolate Israel in a discriminatory way, falsely accusing Israel amongst other things of apartheid. The BDS agenda is entirely inimical to the values of the JCCV; and
Whereas the Australian Jewish Democratic Society (“AJDS”), an affiliate of the JCCV, has passed a resolution in favour of a “limited” boycott of Israeli products and has trumpeted (or emphasised) its communal affiliation with the JCCV in announcing the passage of its resolution.
It is therefore moved that:
The JCCV is fundamentally opposed to any idea, organisation or movement which recommends or supports boycotting, divesting from or sanctions against Israel, and as a result:
1. condemns in the strongest possible terms the AJDS and any other organisation which gives support, whether in part or in whole, to any movement or activity supporting the BDS ;
2. disassociates itself entirely from the resolution passed by AJDS